Interested in working at Oxitec?
Our business is using cutting-edge science to tackle major challenges in global health and agriculture.
We are a dynamic company located at Milton Park, close to Oxford, one of the UK’s leading biotechnology hot spots. We need people who share our vision in combating some of the world’s most damaging insect pests and who have a drive to make a difference, a commitment to deliver, and who have the skills and experience to succeed.
We do not use agencies in our current recruitment process.
Job Title: R&D Engineer
Reporting to: Engineering Manager
Responsible for: Engineering solutions for insect production
Oxitec is a pioneer in controlling insects that spread disease and damage crops. Through world-class science, we are tackling the major global challenges of keeping people healthy and increasing food production in a sustainable, environmentally friendly and cost-effective way.
Purpose of the job
Oxitec is expanding its UK operations and is seeking an experienced engineer with a background in mechanical or production engineering to contribute to the development of novel solutions for insect production and deployment at large scale. The role is R&D based and the candidate is expected to have experience of design and development of mechanical systems, automation, process control and the practical ability to prototype and test new systems. This is an exciting role which will require the candidate to contribute to developing ground-breaking technology and work with multi-disciplinary teams including engineering and biology.
Applications are welcome from less experienced candidates seeking career development who fulfil the essential criteria for the role dependent on experience.
Role and Responsibilities
- Design and develop innovative insect rearing and deployment systems.
- Must be able to create prototypes and interface with external suppliers, providers, and manufacturers to deliver timely practical solutions.
- Should be able to take direction from multiple teams and produce engineering solutions based on defined objectives. The engineer will be required to understand biological processes, training will be provided.
- The ability to communicate and track project work will be essential.
- Testing and verification of new systems or devices and be able to quantify commercial impact at factory scale.
- The engineer will need to operate to standards required for manufacturing in a regulated industry. In addition, they will be required to transfer and implement new systems and processes in multiple facilities in various global locations.
- Hands on work and problem solving are an essential part of the role for our on-going development.
Knowledge Skills and Experience
- A relevant engineering degree or equivalent with project management training preferable.
- 5-10 years industrial experience and be able to demonstrate a track record of delivering engineering solutions from prototype to production implementation, possibly from a product development or R&D background.
- Experience in insect production is not a requirement but experience of engineering within food and beverage, pharma or similar industries would be beneficial.
- Experience with 3D CAD essential, Solidworks preferred with the ability to manage the development process, design mechanical systems, produce specifications and 2D drawings for sub-contract manufacture including designing prototype fixtures.
- Experience of working with programmable logic controllers with a view to delivering automation and process control solutions would be desirable but not essential.
- Experience in designing fabricated systems and injection moulded components would be advantageous.
- New ideas and a track record of innovation are vital skills required in this largely unexplored area of entomology.
- A competitive annual salary.
- 37.5 hour working week.
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays.
- Discretionary annual bonus up to 10%.
- Pension: a matching pension scheme where the company will contribute up to 10% of salary.
- The opportunity to develop and progress from an engineering perspective and be a part of an exciting venture
- Applicants must have the right to work in the UK
For further information please contact:- Sarah Coates at firstname.lastname@example.org and also visit www.oxitec.com
Please send your CV with a cover letter to the above email address.
Start date: ASAP